I got my first order of parts in from the store. I got myself the following.
- Carb rebuild it
- Speedometer cable (both inner and outer)
Since I didn't have enough time to rebuild the carburetor I just replaced the speedo cable. The whole thing took about 20 minutes only because this was my first time do it. I followed the instructions over at smallframes.com and they are pretty spot on. If I hadn't of I bet I would have been in a world of hurt trying to thread the new cable through the front fork.
There trick is basically as follows:
- Release cable from the speedo
- Release cable from the pinion
- Remove the inner cable leaving the outer cable in place.
- Insert the new cable backwards into the old cable (from the bottom up).
- Remove the outer cable leaving the inner cable in place.
- Insert the new outer cable from the top down over the new inner cable.
- Remove the inner cable and reinstall correctly from the top.
- Screw both ends of the cable back on.
Once you've done it the whole things seems really simple.
The old cable was definitely snapped. Before I installed the new cable I hooked it up to the speedo and the other end to my screw gun. Sure enough the speedo worked so I knew that this should fix the problem.
Next step on this bike is going to be rebuilding the carb and putting in a new spark-plug. Maybe we'll get this thing running.